Best ways to protect yourself from moving scams in NYC
Get Free Moving Quote Now
Many Americans relocate to the Big Apple to try their luck in achieving The American Dream. To save money, many people opt to handle their own relocation and move by themselves. Due to a lack of time, skill, or the need for additional help, others opt to use reputable moving companies, like Eagle Van Lines Moving & Storage, instead of doing the work themselves. But in the unfortunate event that you hire a moving company that isn’t registered or licensed, it’s possible that they’ll take your money and never arrive, or worse – they’ll steal your possessions. Scammers demand that you pay up to three times the cost of your relocation in order to get your belongings back. Initially, they all appear to be legitimate, but how do you tell the difference? Here are a few of the best ways to protect yourself from moving scams in NYC.
The warning signs
- Their local location and details concerning their registration, licensing, and insurance are missing from their website.
- There is a lot of pressure on you to make a purchase and sign the paperwork as quickly as possible.
- It is illegal for a moving company to provide you an estimate over the phone or online if they refuse to come to your home for a free on-site assessment.
- If a moving company demands a significant deposit or full payment in advance, or if they insist on being paid in cash, you should stay away from them.
- When a company asks you to sign a blank or incomplete contract, know that there’s something fishy going on.
6 Ways to protect yourself from moving scams in NYC
Signing a contract without reading it is illegal. In addition, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the most typical moving frauds. If you’re moving for the first time, this all may sound overwhelming. But in reality, it isn’t that hard to spot the green flags. Reputable movers, like our local movers in New York will have many positive reviews throughout all platforms. And they’re license will be displayed clearly on their website. So, without further ado, here are six of the best ways to protect yourself from moving scams in NYC.
1. Ask your family and friends for recommendations
Get recommendations from individuals you know and trust, such as your family, friends, coworkers, or a trusted real estate agent. Try to avoid relying on advertisements, especially internet ads, TV, newspapers, and so on. Advertising based on personal recommendations is among the most trustworthy. If your friend recommends to you good residential movers New York that they were satisfied with, most likely you will be too.
Asking for suggestions on social media is also a good alternative. Facebook, for example, offers a built-in feature that allows you to publish a message asking for recommendations. What you must do is as follows: Once you’ve created a post, click the Ask for Recommendations button and pick the city or area in which you’re seeking recommendations. Additionally, by clicking on the audience sector, you may select the audience from whom you would want to get suggestions (Public or only Friends Facebook). It is a convenient, useful, and current method of obtaining suggestions nowadays.
2. Look through nearby moving companies online
If your friends can’t recommend any good movers or have never had moving experience before, try searching for respectable movers on Yelp, Google My Business, and Trustpilot and compiling a list of them.
Their USDOT number can also be found online. If you locate a genuine USDOT number, you may be certain that the organization is authorized to perform moving services. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration registration and a USDOT Number are required for all companies that operate commercial vehicles in interstate commerce carrying people or delivering goods.
3. Put at least three moving companies on your list
Ask for the company’s USDOT number and BBB certification as well as their Certificate of Insurance (COI). COI requests are subject to a modest cost. Avoid movers that won’t provide you with their license and registration details. Do they own their vehicles or do they rent them? Companies that can simply offer a phone or online estimate should be avoided. If you are looking for trustworthy, fully licensed and insured, commercial movers New York, you should look no further than Eagle Van Lines.
4. Make sure the moving company has a good reputation
Check with the local BBB to see if there have been any issues with the businesses. Engage with people who have written reviews about the mover on social media and get their thoughts on the moving process from them.
5. Get a paper or electronic estimate
Get quotes from the movers you’ve chosen, compare them, and ask all of your questions about the services they provide, their costs, and the entire cost of the move. Before signing anything, make sure you read their contracts well. All charges, additional fees, delivery, and pick-up dates should be clearly stated in a contract.
6. Avoid companies that ask for a high deposit
A high deposit or complete upfront payment, as well as companies who want cash exclusively, should be avoided. Leaving a little deposit is fine if it doesn’t exceed 20% of the specified amount. Check to see whether you have a receipt for your payment.
Tips to make your relocation easier
1. In order to get an accurate quotation from a moving company in NYC, be specific about what they need to relocate. You’ll be able to acquire a more exact estimate this way.
2. Make a list of all of your possessions. Capture their condition before moving. Take photographs or videos of everything.
3. Read your contract thoroughly. Don’t sign this contract if the mover leaves out important information, such as the entire weight or volume of your belongings. Do not sign a waiver disclaiming responsibility for anything that is lost or destroyed during the transfer.
4. Consider purchasing additional insurance if you are transporting precious or fragile items. This is especially if you’re moving a little further. Even if we’re talking about New Jersey. In which case you should consider hiring our movers NYC to NJ that will undoubtedly get the job done in the best way possible.
5. Always ask for your driver’s name or your contact person’s name.
6. Your moving company should give you insight into the complete documentation of the moving process. You should inform the moving company immediately if you discover that some of your belongings are missing.
Finding a legitimate moving company
You need to learn to look out for scams if you want to avoid them. Use our tips in order to protect yourself from moving scams. If the company you’ve selected satisfies all of the standards and passes the tests above, you may schedule your relocation with confidence. If you are moving, you should be aware of your legal rights and duties. Complaints about unlicensed, uninsured, and unscrupulous moving businesses have been increasing in recent years. Complain to the BBB if you believe you’ve been defrauded, a mover has broken the law, or your possessions have been illegally retained.